Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

my favorite show has ended




Its official...Big Love is off the air. And it breaks my heart, the show could of kept going. I only have a handful of friends who watched it, but I thought it was amazing and ground breaking! I know the show hit on a touchy subject, but I think it did a good job.

In case you have not seen the show it is about the Hendrickson family who included husband Bill and his wives Barbara, Nicki, and Margene. Bill owns a chain of Home Depotish stores, he grew up on a polygamist compound and was kicked out as a teenager. Barbara is Bill's first wife. They were not always polygamists. Barb is the kind, mothering wife. When they agreed to become polygamists Bill married Nicki, the daughter of the "prophet" from the compound they grew up on. Nicki has a hard time letting go of the compound she grew up on and her dangerous family. Margene is the third wife. She was the family baby-sitter. She is younger, but more fun and relaxed then the other two wives.

Yes, it was about a polygamist family living in the suburbs. The show followed the family and how they tried to live normal suburban lives while dealing with hiding themselves and dealing with their extended families. I recommend renting them on Netflix. There were MANY twists and turns in the 5 seasons the show was on the air.

Yes, it does cover the touchy subject of polygamy and the Mormon religion. I personally think the show did a good job not stepping on toes. The show was not glorifying plural marriage or close minded. They were not saying all Mormon's are polygamists. Instead I feel like it opened my mind. I would not want to be in a plural marriage, but if other people willing do, who cares! Who are they hurting?

Again, I HIGHLY recommend the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment