Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

My first lent

Growing up we never celebrated Easter or went to church, I was never even baptized. Now don't go putting any fault or blame on my parents, they wanted us to make our own decisions about our faith. I respect that. I was never much into church or faith or really even cared until I met Michael. I really didnt care much until the talks about family and marriage came up. Michael was raised in an Orthodox Christian church. I had never even heard of it until I met him. The Orthodox church is the original Christian church. All other denominations sprung off from the Orthodox church. The basic beliefs and doings of the church has never changed. My biggest problem with church growing up was the hypocrites.  I always had a issue with it and thats why I never found a church I felt I belonged to.

Well, to get married in the Orthodox church both parties have to have been baptized in the holy trinity, seeing as I was never baptized, well that has to be fixed. We joined the local Orthodox church (not very many around us, but we LOVE the one we joined) and started going to the services and I started attending intro to Orthodoxy classes to get a feel for what I was getting myself into. I felt at home and things I am learning make sense to me. If you are interested in reading some about you can check out my churchs website.

I will be baptized into the church the week before our wedding. I am really glad to be doing so. I have decided to dive into the celebrations of lent. In the Orthodox faith lent begins earlier then most. Ours is two months long. Our church has a service everyday but Tuesdays. I wont be able to make all of them, but my goal is to attend as many Wednesday night liturgies as I can. I am excited to dive in and partake in my first Lent and Easter.

I am NOT trying to shove my religion down anyones throat in case you were thinking that. That is one of my MAJOR problems with a lot of people. This is for me and its my first Easter. I just wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment