Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

I survived!

I survived my first surgery. It was pretty easy sailing if I do say so myself. I was given the instructions of no food/water after midnight (blah! of course come 12:01 i was STARVING!) and my surgery wasn't until 1 pm. I stayed up as late as I could Thursday so that I could sleep in on Friday. 


Sleeping in Friday was a pretty nice perk, I am surprised I actually slept decently. We left for the hospital and I was FULL of butterflys. Poor Michael got the brunt (when I get nervous I get a little bitchy). It was a fun game of hurry up and wait. Got through all the registration stuff. They took me back to get my IV and go through some tests. I passed w/ flying colors and the nurse was really nice, spoke highly of my surgeon, and was thrilled that I was not afraid of needles or blood. It was Friday the 13th after all, she said she had some weird people that day so far. 


They finally let Michael join me, took us up to the surgical floor where the awesome nurse put us in a room w a TV. Thankfully cause it took my mind off the surgery and entertained us since it took almost 2 hours for them to take me back. We met the nurses, anesthesiologists who was really nice. He walked me through everything since I was kinda freaked out. He gave me some meds that would make me feel like I've had a couple drinks. And boy did it work and well! I just started cracking up laughing, Michael video taped it. Then they brought me to the surgical room, I switched beds and I don't even remember my head hitting the pillow. Next thing I know I am waking up very slowly. 


They brought me to Michael and once the sleepiness wore off they gave me some juice, crackers, and pain meds and sent me home. I was feeling great till about 1/2 way home and the nausea they talked about kicked in. Went home, napped it off and have been great since. No pain and appetite came back quickly. Now I am just waiting for the surgical strips that are holding everything in place to fall off and I will see my doc next week. I am really surprised by how well my body dealt with it all. 


All in all a decent experience. The doc told Michael they got they tumor and it looked like they thought. Now I just gotta wait for the bill...yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment