Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

First RE Visit

In my earlier post I talked about our infertility struggle. You will see me refer to my doctor as an RE (Reproductive Endocrinologist) aka fertility doc. At the end of May Michael and I went to see one at one of the larger practices near where we live. The doc wasn't the most personable, but he doesnt have to be. During our first visit he asked us some questions and looked over all my records (other doc sent all testing and everything) and told me I have PCOS which basically means I do not ovulate due to insulin and blood sugar being off. The best way to combat this is to start taking Metformin and try to loose some weight. (I am not crazy over weight, but I am at my heaviest - 5'3 175lbs). So he recommended taking the month of June off from all the fertility meds and let my body adjust to the Metformin (nasty med!) and maybe my body would respond and start ovulating on my own (I have given up on this notion). So I did as told, even though I wasn't a happy camper.

If you have never been on Metformin let me tell you I hope you never have to. Its strong stuff and is not gentle on your stomach. It took my body a good 3 weeks to adjust to the meds. I still get upset stomachs and feel sick if I eat to much sugar or carbs or anything greasy. I am on two 750 extended release mg...whew! I have been on this med since the end of May, but have yet to ovulate on my own

Which sucks major big time....bc in case you didn't know you cannot get pregnant with out ovulating. All tests show my eggs are good quality and his sperm is normal, but my body just does not want to let go of those eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment